Freshen up your home naturally with products that won’t harm your family or the environment. Simple, natural products like baking soda, vinegar, lemon juice, soap, water, and a bit of elbow grease will cover most of your cleaning needs.
In the Kitchen
- If you have a vase or glass that is too narrow to clean by hand, throw in some rice and white vinegar, cover the top with your hand and shake vigorously
- Get rid of stains on your countertops by letting lemon juice sit on them for a few minutes, then scrub the area with baking soda and wipe with a damp cloth
- To clean your glass shower door, apply pure lemon juice onto the glass, spray it with warm water and wipe it off with a clean cloth
- For black mould, combine salt, vinegar and liquid dish detergent. Apply it with a toothbrush, let it set for a couple of hours, and then wipe it with a clean cloth
Laundry Room Basics
- Vinegar is a natural fabric softener. Add half a cup of vinegar to the rinse cycle for soft, static-free clothes
- Need a natural stain fighter? Mix 6 tablespoons of baking soda with half a cup of warm water and apply to stains before washing
- For an all-purpose cleaning spray, combine baking soda with white vinegar, a few drops of antibacterial tea tree oil, and water. Shake it up in a spray bottle
- Use baking soda to control odours around your home. Sprinkle some in the garbage can before you insert the liner, keep a box where you store shoes and sports gear, and of course, it works wonders in the fridge
If you’re looking for more ideas or would like to find out about other eco-friendly cleaning products, your local natural health store is a great resource.